Hola! It’s time for one of my favorite down-south holidays: Cinco de Mayo! I love everything about this festive occasion, full of great music, bright colors, and mouth-watering foods. Cinco de Mayo, or May 5th, is not (as it’s commonly mistaken) Mexico’s Independence Day (that’s actually September 16th). Cinco de Mayo is observed to celebrate the Mexican army’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. It’s a day for Mexicans and Mexican Americans to proudly honor their ethnicity and rich history. And it’s a day to get some seriously tasty food. I’m looking forward to celebrating with these wonderful Trim Healthy Mama recipes to keep me a trim little mamacita!
- Healthy Strawberry Lemonade from The Nourishing Gourmet – get plenty of vitamin C with this refreshing stevia-sweetened drink
- Party Punch from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen – it’s not really a party without punch, right?
- Zingy Raspberry Good Girl Moonshine from Oh Sweet Mercy – lovin’ the fresh lime squeezed right into this fun variation of a Trim Healthy Mama favorite
- Strawberry Lemonade Slushie from Simply Healthy Home – beat the heat with an ice-cold lemony slushie
Appetizers, Sauces and Dips
- Low Carb Lime Tortilla Chips from Gwen’s Nest – you don’t have to skip the chips at your fiesta with these lovely little gems!
- Refrigerator Pico de Gallo from Briana Thomas – you can’t do Cinco without no Pico… okay I’m sorry. Seriously, though – you need to make this.
- Blender Salsa from Simply Healthy Home – mix up a terrific batch of fresh salsa in a flash!
- Jalapeño Cream Cheese Puffs from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen – I’m pretty sure it will be impossible not to eat the entire batch in one sitting
- Gunky’s Chunky Guacamole from The Coers Family – a full-bodied guacamole with fresh flavors, be sure to serve it with crispy Joseph’s lavash or pita chips to keep the carb count low
- AutoImmune Protocol: Guacamole from Simply Healthy Home – check out this yummy guac recipe that skips the tomatoes for a nightshade free option
- Low Carb Armadillo Eggs from The Coers Family – everyone loves this fun party food with the freaky name
- Nourishing Enchilada Sauce from Simply Healthy Home – apple cider vinegar gives this scrumptious sauce some serious health benefits
- Fajita Marinade from Darcie’s Dishes – make your own super tasty marinade right at home
- Taco Seasoning from Gwen’s Nest – make your own amazing taco seasoning without the yucky chemicals and fillers
- Mexican Brown Rice from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen – another Trim Healthy Mama Texas blogger brings us a scrumptious recipe!
- Spanish “rice” Quinoa from Simply Healthy Home – pump up the protein with this clever E (energizing) side dish
- Rice and Beans from Briana Thomas – black beans and brown rice with a surprising chicken curry flavor
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice from All Day I Dream About Food – I’m loving the flavor combo in this dish: fresh cilantro and lime were made to go together
- Fiesta Creamed Cauliflower from The Coers Family – green chilies and red pimentos brighten up this creamy cauliflower casserole
- Chipotle Lime Grilled Chicken from All Day I Dream About Food – nothing says Summer is on the way like the smoky smell of the grill, and this flavor combination will rock your socks off
- Sour Cream Beef Enchiladas from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen – you’re going to LOVE these! Full of flavor, surprisingly easy to make – a real crowd pleaser
- Black Bean Chicken Quesadillas from The Coers Family – lunch or dinner in a flash with this super simple E (energizing) recipe!
- Lime Chicken Soft Tacos from Gwen’s Nest – green onions, garlic, and lime make these tacos absolutely fabulous and full of flavor
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas from A Home With Purpose – canned chicken makes these tasty enchiladas super quick to throw together
- Grilled Chicken with Tomatillo-Avocado Sauce from All Day I Dream About Food – this delicious dish features avocados from Mexico! Perfect for our Cinco de Mayo Round-Up!
- Trim Healthy Mama Burr-E-tos from The Coers Family – get your healthy carbs with these low fat burritos
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen – she also gives a great recipe for a homemade enchilada sauce
- Low Carb Taco Pie from All Day I Dream About Food – simple, quick, easy… and the kids will love it
- Creamy Chicken Spinach Enchiladas from The Coers Family – the sauce on these babies will blow you away: creamy green chile and cilantro!
- Grain Free Burrito Bake from Simply Healthy Home – ditch the grains with this yummy casserole, perfect for gluten free diets
- Easy Mexican Casserole from A Home With Purpose – check out the instructions in this recipe to make this dinner either an S or E!
- Low Carb Mexican Pizza from The Coers Family – make something different with this ultra delicious pizza
- Turkey Taco Endive Boats from All Day I Dream About Food – nice and light and full of wonderful flavors!
- Zesty Salsa Chicken and Black Bean Casserole from Darcie’s Dishes – tasty and economical, this recipe is great for families
- Texas Chicken Tortilla Soup from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen – should the weather still be a little chilly in your neck of the woods, try this amazing and flavorful soup
- Mexican Chocolate Stuffed Strawberries from All Day I Dream About Food – the ultimate decadence of spices mixed with creamy chocolate, stuffed into fresh strawberries
- Cowboy Cookies from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen – call ’em vaquero cookies and then gobble them up!
- Coconut Cupcakes from The Coers Family – low carb, sugar free, and just plain ol’ delicious
- Lemon Cream Bars from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen – bright citrus flavors are a great way to end a meal full of spices
- Cream Cheese Cookie Bites from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen – a touch of cinnamon gives these yummy cookies a little bit of a kick (recipe is in the bottom of the post)