What is Trim Healthy Mama?
Trim Healthy Mama (THM) is NOT just another diet book. It’s a way to understand food and what actually makes us gain weight and suffer health problems like diabetes, heart problems, cholesterol issues, hormone imbalances, migraines and more. The general idea behind the book is that God has given all types of food for us to enjoy: meat, veggies, fruit, grains, dairy, and even fats. The THM plan does not exclude any of these food groups, instead it shows you how to healthfully combine food groups to lose weight.
Losing weight on the THM plan is very easy. Some key principles to remember when in the kitchen are:
- Keep fats and carbs separated. The great thing about THM is you can have healthy fats and healthy carbs, you just don’t eat them together in the same meal while you’re trying to lose weight.
- Eat some form of protein with every meal. Protein keeps you feeling full, helps your body recover and repair itself, helps your body produce important enzymes and hormones – and so much more.
- Stay away from all types of sugars. While trying to lose weight it’s best to avoid excess insulin. The THM plan utilizes sugar substitutes: Stevia, Truvia, Erythritol, or Xylitol. Special Note: please know that xylitol is poisonous for dogs. Keep any treats made with xylitol away from your pets for their safety!
And those are the basics. Not too hard to grasp, right? Here’s a really great Trim Healthy Mama Overview for more information. Of course, you really need to read the book to get all the ins and outs along with great tips and tricks, recipes, and more.
You can visit the official Trim Healthy Mama website to learn more. There’s also the Trim Healthy Mama Forums to visit. And while you’re surfing, swing by the Trim Healthy Mama Facebook Group Page for some awesome support and encouragement. And check out the Trim Healthy Mamas Pinterest Page full of boards to help you get started.
Why do I love Trim Healthy Mama?
It’s so easy. I don’t have to count calories, cut out a bunch of food groups, write down every bite I take, or pay monthly fees. It’s easy to prepare healthy food my family can enjoy together with only a few minor adjustments for me and my husband. And it WORKS. We’re losing weight without feeling starved or deprived. It’s perfect for a couple of food-lovers like us. If I do happen to mess up, it’s easy to get back on track with no guilt.
- Our First Week on the Trim Healthy Mama plan produced some surprising results.
- The pounds kept coming off during our First Month! Five full weeks on the plan with no cheats.
- Six Months on the Trim Healthy Mama plan! You won’t believe how much weight we lost!
- One Year Results – We are Trim Healthy Mama for LIFE! We couldn’t be more amazed by our transformations!
To get a good start on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, there are some essentials you’ll need. You can of course get just a few things and build your THM supply slowly. It does not have to be a huge investment all at once. Check out this Trim Healthy Mama Money-Saving Facebook Group for some great tips and deals to save money while losing weight.
I truly recommend the products sold in the official online Trim Healthy Mama store. Pearl and Serene are dedicated to the highest quality and the healthiest foods. Shop around for their own brand of “Gluccie,” defatted peanut flour, “Not Naughty Noodles,” oat fiber, protein powder, and more!
- You’ll need the book: Trim Healthy Mama. You really can’t get around this. Yes, it can be considered “pricey” but really, it’s like buying several books in one. Consider it a textbook for healthy eating, a recipe book, a testimonial and encouragement for Christian women (and men), and more. It’s an enjoyable read, all 650 pages.
- Sugar substitute. Sugar is a big ol’ no-go on the THM plan. The recommended sweeteners are Stevia, Truvia, Xylitol, and Erythritol. You might be cringing at some of the prices and thinking that you can skip out on this and never eat anything sweet again, but trust me, after a few days you’re going to want a treat. If you want to get the good stuff for a great price, buy the official Trim Healthy Mama brand sweeteners!
- Alternative Flours. In order to eat something other than eggs, meat, and salads you’re going to need to bake and baking needs flour. While losing weight and sticking to the THM basics, you’ll be baking up low-carb delights. To do this you’ll need Almond Flour, Coconut Flour, Oat Bran Flour, and Flaxseed Meal.
- Thickeners. Glucomannan Powder is a thickener that doesn’t affect your blood sugar. It’s perfect for making frappes, syrups, stovetop jelly/jam, puddings, gravy, and even breads and cakes. It helps suppress your appetite for an added weight loss bonus. One bottle lasts forever! A lot of THMers use Xanthan Gum too.
- Whey Protein Powder. All your THM meals, snacks, desserts and shakes need to have some protein to help regulate your blood sugar. Pearl and Serene recently released their own premium protein powder at a great price!
- Coconut Oil. The great thing about THM is it introduces you to a whole new world of healthy fats. And Coconut Oil is a major player. It’s super good for you and very versatile. You’ll be using it a lot on the THM plan.
- Bread and Tortilla Substitutes. Low-carb Joseph’s Pitas and Joseph’s Lavash Bread will help you have some freedom in the kitchen. It’s easy to make a breakfast burrito or lunch wrap, even a flatbread pizza with a few of those on hand. Low-carb tortillas are great too. If you’re hankering for a slice of bread, Ezekiel Bread is a life-saver. Don’t want to buy bread? No problem! Briana Thomas has a wonderful recipe for you: Homemade Trim Healthy Mama Bread.
- Hardware. You will want a good blender to enjoy all the yummy drinks and shakes. And I personally recommend a coffee bean or spice grinder to powder your chosen sweetener for treats like Skinny Chocolate.
Got a full-bodied hubby? Here are some tips and tricks for men following the Trim Healthy Mama plan!
Let’s get in the kitchen and lose some weight!
- Zucchini Muffins (S)
- Apple Cinnamon Bread (E)
- Trim Healthy Mama French Toast (E)
- Egg White Oatmeal (E)
- Chocolate Banana Bread (E)
- Cocoa Drizzled Coconut Muffins (S)
S (satisfying) Dinners – high fat, low carb
- Mozzarella-filled Mini Meatloaves (S)
- Slow Cooked Pork Roast with Cream Gravy (S)
- Cheesy Bacon Chicken Cauliflower (S)
- Mega Meatballs (S)
- Mexican Pizza (S)
- Rosemary Roasted Pork Loin (S)
- Creamy Chicken Spinach Enchiladas (S)
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Kale Soup (S)
- Fakertot Casserole (S)
- Crock Pot Roast Beef with Gravy (S)
- Greek Baked Chicken (S)
- Pork Rind Pork Chops (S)
E (energizing) Dinners – healthy carbs, low fat
- Slow Cooked Lemon Chicken with Brown Rice (E)
- Cajun style Dirt-E Rice (E)
- Black Bean Chicken Quesadillas (E)
- Chana Dal Stew in the Crock Pot (E)
- Trim Healthy Mama style Crock Pot White Chicken Chili (E)
S, E, or FP (fuel pull) – easily adapted to fit each category
- Baked Flounder with Red Palm Oil and Lime (S, E, or FP)
- Asian Baked Chicken (S or E)
- Crock Pot Ginger Lime Chicken (S, E, or FP)
- Lemon Butter Cake (S)
- Coconut Cupcakes (S)
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting (S)
- Ginger Snap Cookies (S)
- Pumpkin Fudge (S)
- Low Carb Sugar Free “Buttermilk” Pie (S)
- Orange Spice Chia Seed Cookies (S)
Snacks, Sauces, and Sides:
- Blueberry Ginger Chia Seed Preserves (FP)
- No Pasta Salad (S, E, or FP)
- Loaded Baked Fauxtato Casserole (S)
- Fiesta Creamed Cauliflower (S)
Looking for more great Trim Healthy Mama recipes and tips?
Here are some of our favorite Trim Healthy Mama friendly blogs: